[Letux-kernel] Kernels 4.11.1 and 4.12-rc1 for GTA04 and Pyra
H. Nikolaus Schaller
hns at goldelico.com
Wed May 17 19:27:07 CEST 2017
I have finally rebased and updated our repository to 4.11.1 and 4.12-rc1.
There are no big changes in 4.11.1.
The most notable one is that I fixed the write-protect polarity of the left SD slot
of the Pyra. And the SD card detect on the OMAP5EVM if booted from eMMC.
Since it runs quite stable, I have made it the "latest" version. The one that is
installed by makesd by default.
While talking about eMMC and makesd: with makesd it is very simple to flash a full
OS into the eMMC of the Pyra or OMAP5EVM:
1. boot from SD
2. configure internet (WLAN or ethernet gadget)
3. wget -O makesd "http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-makesd.git;a=blob_plain;hb=HEAD;f=makesd"
4. chmod +x makesd
5. DEV=/dev/mmcblk0 ./makesd pyra [apply more options to choose different GUI variants or apt-get install something later]
6. poweroff + remove SD card and reboot
This is not significantly more difficult than running the ./flash-nand script on a GTA04...
Except that it needs a working internet connection. flash-nand simply copies the booted system
offline from µSD to NAND (after stripping down).
I already used this method to be able to boot a Pyra from eMMC so that both SD slots
were available for copying files from a big µSD card to another one. I have not seen
problems with a 64GB Transcend Premium 300x and a SanDisk Ultra 200GB. But I had problems
with a "Generic" 256GB card (25€ from HongKong). But obviously the card is broken since
it also makes problems on other devices incl. MacOS X.
Well, all this was with the 4.11.1 kernel which does not run SD cards faster than
48MHz clock (hsmmc patches are not included by default).
Now back to the kernel.
4.12-rc1 did show some merge conflicts, most notable in our tsc2007 driver.
Because maintainers accepted only parts of our work and even modified the patches
from what I had submitted... So a merge/rebase was beyond git automatic.
I had to fix some code issues manually to get it compile again and may have introduced
some new bugs. What also was needed a fix was our input udev rule to define a stable
Other minor changes by 4.12-rc1 are:
* removes twl4030-madc-hwmon (no problem since we have iio-madc)
* removes ANDROID_LOW_MEMORY_KILLER (which might be a small issue for Replicant)
A quick first test from booting 4.12-rc1 on GTA04A5 and a Pyra shows two issues:
* on both devices the tsc2007 driver does a NULL dereference when touching the panel
* on Pyra the panel remains dark and the panel driver issues some omapdss DSI errors.
This needs some research by 'git diff letux-4.11.1'.
More information about the Letux-kernel