[Letux-kernel] Debian Stretch on GTA04

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jun 14 20:26:18 CEST 2017

Hi,

> Am 31.05.2017 um 09:44 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>
> Hi,
> Stretch has been announced to become official on 17th June.
>
> Therefore I have debootstrapped some new rootfs images for systemd based
> Stretch (9.0) and they basically work:
>
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/?C=M;O=D
>
> What I have observed:
> * boot process is much faster
> * there is no login: but an "emergency shell" on the console
> * X11 does not start
> * I can ssh over usb and to the internet from the GTA04 but I can't ssh into the GTA04
>
> All this appears to be mainly based on missing replacements for /etc/inittab and
> some sshd configuration.

I have done some more work on the Pyra and quite some progress:

* login / emergency shell issue has been solved (comes if there are entries in /etc/fstab for drives that are not available - initd + mount -a simply skip them)
* nodm and X11 still do not start; Xorg fails with a segfault; if I remove xorg.conf it starts into LXDE - but without rotation and our specific configs
* ssh into the device also works now (needs the emergency shell issue solved because the sshd is not started in single-user.target)
* booting is slow because we have some /etc/network/interfaces.d which do not exist - this makes systemd wait for timeouts

> But it is a good start and it sounds not to be too difficult to fix this in the
> next 2 weeks.

The remaining significant issues are still X11 setup and networking. And the change to fstab has the side-effect that e.g. /mnt/nand is no longer automatically mounted if available.

Generally the biggest challenge is to modify the config patches in a way that they still work on Jessie :)