[Letux-kernel] Patch suggestion make targz-pkg

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Feb 21 22:12:32 CET 2017

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:20:01 +0100
Josua Mayer <josua.mayer at jm0.eu> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> During my occasional episodes of building and deploying the kernel on
> the gta04, I have found that the build system has the nice feature,
> make tar*-pkg,
> which creates a tarball of the kernel image and all modules, so all I
> have to do after a build or rebuild is
> tar -C /mnt/sdcard -xpf linux-4.10.0-letux+-arm.tar.gz

interesting, did not know that. I have build my own script for such
things.
export-gta04-krnl.sh root at gta04 /

makearmkernel = make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-
CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-4.9 LOADADDR=0x80008000 "$@"

And afterwards I change symlinks to point to the right version.

> However it currently does not include any arm-specific targets such as
> DeviceTree blobs and the compressed zImage.
> Furthermore the tarred modules are not stripped. Sometimes I would
> like them stripped, and sometimes I wouldn't.

For devicetree + zImage + uImage: clear ack.
hmm, maybe have the symbols separated, like it is common in debian
kernels? Or maybe we should use two different configs for debug and
non-debug (here disable the debugging symbols during build).

> So I have proposed 2 patches that add zImage and dtbs to that tarball.
> Please let me know your opinions if this is something that we should
> try to mainline.

Trying yes, but I do not think we should make a v9-patch out of it or
something like that.