[Letux-kernel] Patch suggestion make targz-pkg

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Feb 21 21:39:43 CET 2017

Hi Josua,

> Am 21.02.2017 um 21:20 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer at jm0.eu>:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> During my occasional episodes of building and deploying the kernel on
> the gta04, I have found that the build system has the nice feature,
> make tar*-pkg,

interesting. Yes, there are a lot of hidden features...

> which creates a tarball of the kernel image and all modules, so all I
> have to do after a build or rebuild is
> tar -C /mnt/sdcard -xpf linux-4.10.0-letux+-arm.tar.gz

Well, I have a ./mgta04 script which does all the builds and packs and
copies results to a directory and takes the current git branch name so
that I always have older builds (separated git branch names) for comparisons.

And I have a ./dl script which installs things on my SD cards. It usually
installs the current branch but if -b is given I can also install an older
branch. So these scripts know what to do and copy separate .tbz for kernel,
modules and device trees. But they are not generic enough to be published
anywhere.

If I run ./dl -p things are published to the server and appear e.g. here:

http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.10/

> However it currently does not include any arm-specific targets such as
> DeviceTree blobs and the compressed zImage.
> Furthermore the tarred modules are not stripped. Sometimes I would like
> them stripped, and sometimes I wouldn't.

I usually have them unstripped (although this needs a lot of disk space)
but the flash-nand script strips them before flashing. Since the typical
NAND is less than 10% of my typical SD cards and every byte counts :(
There I also filter the modules that are really loaded by the kernel.

The only problem I have with unstripped modules is that it takes quite
some time to upload them to the Goldelico server through the Internet.

> So I have proposed 2 patches that add zImage and dtbs to that tarball.
> Please let me know your opinions if this is something that we should try
> to mainline.

Looks reasonable. And although I have no use of it, others may find it
beneficial and the discussion on LKML will certainly give a lot of feedback
(let's hope not too controversial).