[Letux-kernel] Debugging 4.11-rc6 on GTA04

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Wed Apr 12 12:43:33 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:39:15 +0200
Christ van Willegen <cvwillegen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>
> > An idea could be to merge one after the other manually on top of the
> > minimal branch until it starts to fail. Then we know which feature
> > branch makes the problem.
>
> This could be 'dangerous'! I remember testing 2 feature branches for a
> software company. Both worked out OK. When the features were merged,
> however, it turned out that the second would delete a file form the
> first, and the combination did not work as expected..

another problem is that the patches might not by itself be wrong but
change some timing (or maybe just timing during module loading) so that
it breaks something just by changing the layout of the files on the sd
card.

At least the one problematic patch I found out this morning smells like
that. But I think the best thing might be to create a proper error
report out of it and send it upstream and check again if it is
reproducible.