[Lenny400] Patches for linux-stable

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Sep 3 18:01:04 CEST 2017

Hi Paul,

> Am 03.09.2017 um 17:57 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
>
> On Sunday 3. September 2017 17.25.03 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>>
>>> CONFIG_MIPS_NO_APPENDED_DTB
>>> CONFIG_MIPS_ELF_APPENDED_DTB
>>> CONFIG_MIPS_RAW_APPENDED_DTB
>>
>> Ah, fine! I did fgrep the .config after compiling for ARM. Therefore I
>> didn't see the disabled CONFIG_MIPS options.
>>
>> Looks as if we need CONFIG_MIPS_RAW_APPENDED_DRB=y
>>
>> http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.13-rc7/source/arch/mips/Kconfig#L
>> 2915
>>
>> The only thing which makes me wonder is that the description is not for
>> zImage or uImage but for vmlinux.bin. We may have to make a zImage/uImage
>> out of that manually afterwards.
>
> What about CONFIG_MIPS_ELF_APPENDED_DTB? That should put the device tree
> binary in a section within the image, regardless of the eventual archive
> format. Or do I misunderstand what is happening?

I am not sure. The uImage/zImage has no sections - it is just a BLOB loaded
to RAM and started somewhere.

I suspect that CONFIG_MIPS_ELF_APPENDED_DTB needs some ELF loader to start
the kernel.

The RAW seems to be the same as for ARM (and we had used that for a while
in the GTA04 for the NAND image until we did update U-Boot to load the DTB).