[Gta04-owner] Where did /dev/dri/card0 and /dev/fb0 run off to?

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 18:49:18 CEST 2018

Good day to you all,

While again looking into where I left off with replicant a few months
ago, I came across a big blocker that more or less prevents any
meaningful work:
Neither /dev/fb0 nor /dev/dri/* do exist.
How can we find out why that happens?

Versions:
I am using my own kernel branch based on letux-4.17.2 instead of the
previously known-working version work/lukas/android-4.10.
I wanted to minimize the number of patches on the android kernel, and be
closer to upstream while potentially debugging problems in
drm_hwcomposer and how it talks to /dev/dri/card0.

In that previous 4.10 tree I notice this commit:
commit 00702c5e70b8adb8c1b0c116f1d4a41e3569ada1
boot:dts: disable display1/tv0 to make /dev/graphics/fb0 appear

I checked its diff, and all it does is remove an alias from device-tree,
so it does not really seem to disable anything.
And sure enough, applying this change in my DTBs makes no difference to
the issue of missing /dev/fb0 (and dri).

Lukas, do you remember what the idea behind that commit was?

Please find attached a boot log of my latest replicant build. Maybe it
contains a hint for the more trained eye?

br
Josua Mayer