[Gta04-owner] Phosh/Librem5 system on a GTA04

Mark Müller markmueller86 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 19:20:33 CET 2018

On 2018/12/30 0:07, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> adduser purism
> is important.

Thanks, that's right - I knew I forgot something... ;-)

> I started a fresh debian buster using a patched
> cdebootstrap/libinstaller
>   (see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=904699)
>
> Now I am with a non-working touchscreen but screen output.

Well, touchscreen is working, but there seems to be a bug in
wlroots/rootston concerning how key presses are handled. I had a lengthy
test yesterday and a phosh developer helped me a lot. So here's what we
found so far:

* "libinput debug-events" shows the touch events for the touch screen
correctly

* try starting /usr/lib/wlroots/touch - it's a stand alone touch demo
for wlroots and needs a tty (f.ex. start it over ssh via "openvt -c 8 --
/usr/lib/wlroots/touch" while rootston/phosh is not running)

* you can start a GTK+3 app under X11 directly and you'll see touch
input working; same app won't work correctly, if you start it directly
with rootston

* here's the issue i've found: the position of a touch event is read
correctly, but only the first touch seems to be correctly recognized as
a "pressed" event. Every following touch event seems to be categorized
as a "mouse over".

* you can try it with a real mouse on the GTA04 and start the "Calls"
app in Phosh. When your mouse is over a digit button, the button changes
it's appearance a bit (="mouse over") and when you click it (="pressed"
event), it changes as well. Remember how a button in "mouse
over"/"pressed" state looks like and then try to touch these buttons.
You'll see a really strange behaviour :D

I'll try to collect some more info about this issue in wlroots/rootston
and file a bug as soon as I find some time to do so.