[Gta04-owner] Second Debian Status Update

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Sep 19 11:28:36 CEST 2017

Hi Josua,

> Am 19.09.2017 um 11:19 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.mayer97 at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> Am 19.09.2017 um 09:38 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>>
>>> So first I'd like to revisit the current status (tested on an A4):
>>>
>>> Stretch:
>>> No changes from last update
>>> - integration with flash-kernel package is missing
>>> - charging doesn't work (as expected)
>>>  cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_ac/status
>>>  Not charging
>>> - WiFi doesn't work. Hmm. Attaching a log of booting stretch with the
>>> 4.9.0-3 Debian kernel.
> For the A4, WiFi is a regression from Debian package 4.9.0-1-armmp which
> had it working back in February!
> Maybe easiest is opening a Debian bug about it. But I am unsure if we
> want to, considering that it is pretty useless even as a headless
> machine as long as charging has trouble.
>> Well, it looks as if you are using the Debian mainline kernel and this
>> is far behind supporting everyhing.
>>
>> The problem is that many of the Letux kernel patches are not (yet) properly
>> upstreamed. We have ca. 150 files with smaller or bigger differences and
>> ca. 50% are relevant foe GTA04.
> Yes. So this is not the one we want to improve beyond what was there in
> 4.9.0.
>>
>>> Testing:
>>> - currently on kernel 4.12.6
>>> - charging doesn't work
> - Display stays white
>> Well, that should work since AFAIK we have no additional patches or
>> hacks for upstream for twl4030-charging. At least I am not aware that
>> we have anything different...
>>
>> Does the ethernet-gadget work? In my experiments it is more likely to
>> have charging working, but no ethernet gadget.
> [   40.255889] g_ether gadget: Ethernet Gadget, version: Memorial Day 2008
> [   40.262969] g_ether gadget: g_ether ready
> [   40.359313] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): usb0: link is not ready
> Didn't try to use it though (I have to go look for my usb cable).
>>
>> A general source of trouble seems to be to boot the kernel with USB
>> plugged in. If you boot first and then plug in it did work always for me.
> So all my experiments right now have been done with the wall-charger.
> So I tried booting the Debian 4.12.0-1 without power plugged in, then
> after login prompt appeared I plugged it back in, and still nothing happens
>>> experimental linux-image-4.13.0-trunk-armmp_4.13.1-1~exp1_armhf.deb:
>>> - charging doesn't work here either
>>>  Any ideas why?
>>> - WiFi doesn't work
> Plugged in power only after login-prompt appeared: Same story, BUT: Q:
> Did I check the wrong file?
> cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/status
> Charging
> So ..... maybe it's all good? I have no idea.
> There is no /sys/class/battery entry :(

Yes, there isn't. The battery has no driver and no /sysfs node.
Justa charger node and a fuel gauge node.

> - Display stays white
>>>  Neither does it work on the A5, but there not even the wl18xx module
>>> comes up on its own.
>> Wl18xx needs updates in the device tree which are not upstream and therefore
>> not in any Debian kernel (unless we build our own).
> So as long as that is missing I'll only check the status of the A4 with
> libertas wireless.
>>> This is the one I think we should work on fixing, if it is just a matter
>>> of missing kernel config options.
>> Yes, it might additionally be a kernel misconfig.
> Attached a boot-log on the A4. Maybe it has a hint why WiFi doesn't
> work? And the display?
> I added loglevel=7 to cmdline (to get debug output but *not* from
> systemd); it didn't appear to have any effect on the detail level of
> console messages.
>
> I don't know how useful it is to figure out why this stuff doesn't work
> on Debian.
> My goal was to reach a point where the standard Debian would boot,
> charge and connect to a network via WiFi. But right now that feels
> farther away than back in February.
>>
>>> There is little need for thoroughly
>>> testing the earlier kernel packages.
>>>
>>> To Do:
>>> - figure out nand flash partitionining (see below)
>>> - update the big gta04 boot.txt to properly integrate Distro-Boot feature
>>> - integrate with flash-kernel - see #871792
>>> - try making the debian kernel package smaller - see #772628 for one idea
>>> - is it feasible to get the required patchsets that made it into 4.13,
>>> included in the Stretch kernel package?
>>>
>>> #871792: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=871792
>>> #772628: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=772628
>>>
>>> And now a few notes on what I mean by figuring out nand flash:
>>> - who figures out the root= argument: u-boot? Debian? flash-kernel package?
>> u-boot (default for bootargs) or boot.scr. In my experience all the standard
>> methods are quite fragile and limited. This is why we have our own.
> Sure.
>>
>>> - where does the kernel come from? the kernel partition in nand-flash?
>>> If so, is it an uImage or a zImage?
>> It depends on which boot command the boot script calls (boot, bootm, bootz).
>>
>> The Letux-OS uses uImage:
>>
>> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=Letux/root/flash-nand;h=3bbadda919f6405c6d9b68e79566c785ea620ea8;hb=c4729e229fa3d61c3937865972fa0f57058830c8#l237
>>
>>> - where does the initrd come from? How does u-boot know its name on
>>> filesystem, or location in flash?
>> IMHO it should be compiled into the kernel image.
>>
>> If not, it can be on any file system that the kernel understands. AFAIR
>> it is not loaded at all by u-boot but in the early stages of kernel startup
>> by the kernel.
> Does this work with a typical debian initrd size of 16MB?
> I guess this can be reduced, but probably requires quite some effort.

Hm. Most likely no. AFAIR we have 6MB kernel partition in NAND - but that
is quite arbitrary and a matter of having matching tables in U-Boot and Device-Tree.

> [...]
>>> putting an uImage to nand-flash, but it does *not* differentiate where
>>> the rootfs is.
>> They can be in separate locations.
> By that I mean: One database entry in flash-kernel for every device
> "model" (from DeviceTree).
> And then exactly one boot method. It can be boot-script on rootfs, or
> uImage in nand flash.
> I couldn't find any other supported methods such as perhaps extlinux.conf.
>
> Why we need flash-kernel?
> - It takes care of copying a DeviceTree Blob from
> /usr/lib/<versioned-kernel-folder> to /boot;
>   When using the Debian kernel, this would be a pain to copy by hand.
>   Debian does have symlinks to latest kernel image, and initrd at /, but
> sadly none pointing at the location of the latest DTBs in the rootfs.
> - It would take care of replacing the uImage in nand flash.
>

>>>  So either we get a database entry into flash-kernel for uImage in nand
>>> flash, or we get an entry in there for generating a boot.scr.
>>>  Note that this is the real reason for all questions above!
>>>
>>> I would propose this solution:
>>> - remove kernel partition in favor of a slightly bigger rootfs
>> this assumes that U-Boot can load the kernel from the rootfs in flash (file system)
> ^^
>>
>>> - fetch boot-script, kernel and initrd from whatever filesystem is on there
>>> - let u-boot come up with the bootargs, including root= set to whatever
>>> parttiion is being booted
>>> This way the process looks the same for nand flash and microSD, and the
>>> flash-kernel entry would be sane.
>>>
>>> What are your opinions here?
>>> Any ideas how Debian should be installed in nand flash, and how
>>> flash-kernel package should take care of updates?
>> Well, my opinion is clear (although it is something you might not want to hear :):
>>
>> 	focus on Debian rootfs topics. Ignore Debian kernel/u-Boot flashing etc.
>>
>> The reason is that we have a quite mature and tested setup for flashing and
>> booting up to the point where some rootfs is loaded. This is very universal and
>> users can even choose between different SD partitions with different kernels and
>> root file systems.
>>
>> One of them can be Debian. Another can be Replicant. Or something else.
>>
>> And the flash-nand tool can copy a running Debian to flash. Hm. Maybe we should
>> try to package more of the Letux tools (flash-nand, makesd) into Debian...
>>
>> So this all seems to reinvent a lot of things by trying to use the standard
>> Debian toolset for a task that is already solved well.
> We could ignore nand-flash in the flash-kernel package, and have it only
> work with mmc.
>> Of course it is a nice exercise to find out how and if it works. And gives a
>> lot of moments and pleasure for learning. But I don't see a big step forwards
>> in working on that early stage boot.
> Ideally this work would lead to a moment where we can take a
> debian-installer sdcard as is, put it on the microsd and have it install

Yes, that would be nice! Except that it would not be compatible with other
rootfs (AFAIK it would not even be able to boot a Replicant SD).