[Gta04-owner] GNOME on Smartphone

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Oct 26 15:12:57 CEST 2017

Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-10-26 14:38:09)
> there is currently a lot of hype around running Gnome on a smartphone
> which seems to need new hardware to be possible.
>
> This made me curious. Therefore I took a fresh µSD card and did [...]
> apt-get install gnome-core

Yes, that is the easy part.

Challenging parts are these:

a) get GPU drivers for hardware-backed OpenGL working for the particular
device (since GNOME depend on OpenGL and software-only emulation is
likely too power hungry even if fast enough).

b) fix UI to more sensibly work on a phone (which implies getting GTK+4
finalized and packaged for Debian and applications rewritten to use it).

Might make sense to faster reach a usable state by doing b) without
waiting for GTK+4.  But that has a real risk of repeating QtMoko which
didn't want to wait for Qt to properly cover phones.

 - Jonas