[Gta04-owner] [Letux-kernel] IrDA seems to be deprecated since 4.14-rc1

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 13 13:53:00 CEST 2017

> Am 13.10.2017 um 12:45 schrieb Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com>:
>
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?h=v4.14-rc4&id=1ca163afb6fd569b6efdc221954177cba5a02cbc
>>
>> Since we have an IrDA compatible transmitter in the GTA04,
>> we should probably hurry up in getting working for the GTA04...
> This is crazy. I think it violate little bit what Linus was telling
> about (don't break userspace).

Indeed... That rule might depend on who is breaking it :)

> Maybe there is replacement for irda
> already?

Well, the replacement is that it now lives in staging/. We just have to
modify our defconfig so that it is still compiled as module.

And to make it operational, we have to add low-level drivers for the RX/TX
and enable gpios.

Testing should be possible by using two GTA04 pointing at each other.
Or with N900 oder Apple Newton.