[Gta04-owner] successful boot from usb

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Mon Nov 20 22:30:53 CET 2017

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 12:40:07 +0100
Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
[...]
> > > After I changed that base address, I could load a recent spl from usb.
> > > I managed to load uboot via ymodem (not that strange kermit anymore) via rs232.
> > > Next step would be to enable dfu in spl. There is an option in uboot for that.
> > > But I do not manage to compile u-boot that way.
> > >
> > > But what can be more easily managed: Compile dfu into main uboot (well,
> > > you have to first enable the dfu command, then you can open the dfu menu in uboot menuconfig),
> > > so it can be enabled on a button in the menu.
> > > Access to mmc and to ram seems to work, access to onenand cannot be enabled.
> > > But with dfu to ram, you can e.g. load kernel, fdt and a ramdisk and a script to ram.
> > > Or load other things to ram and flash it to nand using that script.
> > > So with that you can basically do a lot of things.
> >
> > Wow, cool work!
> >
> > If you have patches for our u-boot git (that do not break OMAP4 & OMAP5), we can integrate them.
> >
> For the dfu in main u-boot it should be not critical,
> dfu in uboot is only started via a command, so if not used, it will not harm.
>
> I'll put them in separate branches.

In
work/kemnade/dfu_in_main_uboot
there is now everything need for the main uboot to work properly with
dfu.

dfu to ram mode is activated by button 7
You can use it like this:
dfu-util -a kernel -D uImage
dfu-util -a fdt -D omap3-gta04a4.dtb
dfu-util -a rd -D initrd.img
dfu-util -a script -D bootkernel.scr -R

The script can contain things like:
setenv bootargs ...
bootm ${loadaddr} ${loadaddrinitrd} ${loadaddrfdt}

initrd.img might be something like
cat hw-tester.cpio modules.cpio | gzip >initrd
and then a mkimage run to create initrd.img from that.

There is a mmc mode on button 8 (well, it is not that useful)

nand is not activated because the dfu nand seems not to work with
onenand, so it is easier to load stuff to ram and execute a script then.

Regards,
Andreas