[Gta04-owner] gemini PDA

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Mar 7 15:17:22 CET 2017

Hi Jonas,

> Am 07.03.2017 um 14:46 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
>
> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-03-07 13:55:14)

>>> Depending on the license, that's great.
>>
>> I still want to understand why this is great?
>>
>>> Can I ask what license they're released under?
>>
>> It is written on each page inside the .sch document. AFAIR it is CC-BY-NC-SA.
>> Well, should be announced before someone opens the file. So I have add a COPYRIGHT note.
>>
>> But I don't discuss the NC clause.
>
> So it is *not* Open Source Hardware.  Nice to know.

Yes it is not "Open Source Hardware (TM)" (whichever definition you prefer - AFAIR there are
multiple ones around, but I don't care about such fundamental discussions any more - life is
too short and too unpredictable to waste time).

But it is clearly open source (you can download the design files) and it is hardware, isn't it?

And the GTA04 was never open source hardware in the same way as Arduino or BeagleBoard. Where
the focus was from the beginning to spread the design files and have as many groups building it.
It was never intended or claimed to be. Because production is so difficile and expensive that
no community member would dare to do it (except us). Only companies with bigger pockets could
have simply used it without paying license fees. Hence there was simply no need to make it
"more open" that it was.

So it started many years ago as "really well documented hardware for supporting any
open source software". But people expected it to be open source hardware in the broadest
sense they could think of and we never got a convincing answer why it should be so
(which I would see as the minimum return for making it as open as possible).