[Gta04-owner] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: suggestions for rootfs

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Fri Feb 3 21:59:56 CET 2017

Hi,

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 07:13:17 +0100

> Hi Jonas,
>
> > Am 31.01.2017 um 23:02 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <jonas at jones.dk>:
> >
> > Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2017-01-31 19:57:24)
> >> Hi Jonas,

> >> When is this needed? I could so far use the RS232 console to type
> >> the y if needed.
> >
> > It is needed when pre-mount routines detect disk corruption that is
> > risky to repair, i.e. where you might want to make a backup before
> > aggressively trying to fix the errors.  If you are at a terminal, it
> > will prompt you if you wanna proceed, but just hangs if you are not
> > at a terminal - e.g. a remote server or an embedded device like a
> > phone (not in debug mode).
>
> Yes, I know what it does. It is more the question when and how often
> we really need it. I.e. how often is disk corruption. I remember it
> every 2 years or so after removing the boot-SD card during operation.

Well, I just recently trashed my filesystem. Probably by doing a few
low-battery boots failing at some critical places. Now I have charging
enabled again in uboot and this is no problem. I am not sure how often
that happens for because I have that auto-fix enabled.

> So what is better - hang with a rootfs that can be potentially fixed
> by hand or trying automatic fsck -y which still may fail and damage
> the card even further.

I am also not sure anymore. I personally want to avoid any writes to
critical files if battery status is below a certain level. That
includes root partition journal replay... But then it should fix
automatically.

But after some more thinking I have other ideas.
For daily usage prepare a kernel which has simplefb statically compiled
in (that just reuses an already intialized framebuffer by uboot) and
reduced console output (aka no CONFIG_XXX_DEBUG). So important boot
messages will be visible. And lateron the omapdrmfb should take over
 (if that is possible, if not, then no simplefb). Then booting problems
 will be visible
and repairing stuff should be more easily possible from another system
then.

Regards,
Andreas