[Gta04-owner] Building replicant - Winter 2017

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 15:46:38 CET 2017

Am 27.12.2017 um 12:52 schrieb Josua Mayer:

> Hi Andreas,
>

> Am 27.12.2017 um 11:27 schrieb Andreas Kemnade:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 23:11:32 +0100
>> Andreas Kemnade<andreas at kemnade.info>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> interesting: /sbin/modprobe points to /system/xbin/modprobe
>>> which does not exist.
>>>
>>> I just insmod'ed the panel stuff and encoder-opa stuff manually
>>> and then it happily boots and initializes stuff. GUI shows "Preparing to
>>> start"
I now got there too, using the krnel binaries from the replicant-4.2
build you did earlier this year. After a reboot I am even getting to the
first boot wizard where I am supposed to click next. But I have not
managed to load the touchscreen driver. Mostly because when I try to use
insmod, I get an angry "toybox: Not root" message.
>> Hmm, I thought somehow tvout was disabled in replicant kernels...
>> Another point to investigate. So it would be happy without the
>> corresponding modules loaded.
>>> So the hwcomposer-drm does not need to be enabled.
Indeed. But I guess it will be a nice experiment to see if it improves
performance anywhere.
Note that besides the attached patches, one has to set
ro.hardware.composer=drm.
>>> And now we have to find out why the heck modprobe does not exist.
>> # CONFIG_MODPROBE is not set
>> in external/toybox/.config
> Yah.
> But I can't seem to enable it. Please find the patch with what I tried
> attached.
> After a rebuild, toybox will still not list modprobe as one of its
> builtins.
I managed to get the toybox modprobe command built; only to find that we
have no modules.dep :(
However according to latest android documentation, modprobe is the tool
to use, and a modules.dep is supposedly being generated:
https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/kernel/modular-kernels

Please find attached all the unfinished patches I am currently employing.