[Gta04-owner] Wifi firmware Was: host ap experiments

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sat Feb 6 18:53:33 CET 2016

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:36:45 +0100
Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:

> > The idea is also to get WiFi support in Replicant somehow out of the
> > box.
> >
> You mean by not needing any binary stuff even if it does not run on
> the main processor?
No, the idea is to have WiFi work without redistributing non-free
software, and without the user having to install non-free software like
a firmware.

Having it in a clean way(100% free software) would be very strongly
preferred, but giving the current status, even having some non-free
non-loadable firmware would work. The GTA02 had such workaround.

Given that many free software friendly hardware is being manufactured,
we should also investigate to see which chips that solve that issue can
be used on new hardware.

Denis.