[Gta04-owner] Using touchscreen as a touchpad?

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Apr 21 15:09:59 CEST 2016

Hi Neil,

> Am 21.04.2016 um 14:08 schrieb Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com>:
>
> Has anyone tried configuring the GTA04 touchscreen to behave as a
> touchpad instead of a touchscreen?  Would the kernel code for the
> touchscreen support that?
>
> Subject to the latter, I think the former is possible in principle by
> using libinput and configuring a udev rule like this:
>
> ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="...",
> ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="...b", ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN}="",
> ENV{ID_INPUT_TOUCHPAD}="1"
>
> (following
> https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/udev_config.html)
>
> Also has anyone tried using an external input device instead of the
> touchscreen?

Not really, but using an OTG cable and an USB mouse should work out of
the box. I think it does not even need special udev rules, although I have
never tried.

A bluetooth mouse should also work.

But: it might differ how user space software uses the touch. If it uses tslib
the device name is usually hard-coded in some config. X11 will simply
allow to move the cursor by any touch(screen/pad) device (but also depends
on xorg.conf overrides).