[Gta04-owner] [Community] About cost and business models for community hardware

Neil Brown neilb at suse.de
Tue Sep 29 02:45:27 CEST 2015

"H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

>> I think Radek ‘lost interest' because of lack of some of the lower level points in my list above, principally the battery consumption.

Battery consumption is the main issue that depresses my enthusiasm.
It *seems* insoluble.  It probably isn't, but I haven't found a way
forward.

> Well, with 3.7 it was almost good.

I would say 3.7 is just barely usable - if you have a new battery.

> A problem for me is that QtMoko has some very nice tools to support battery consumption measurements. But because it does neither run on 3.12 or later kernels, we can’t even test battery consumption easily. How to improve the kernel if a good GUI is missing.

Measuring battery usage isn't that hard.  In the simplest case you just
need to log the time (seconds) and the charge-now value from the
bq27000 and graph those.  I log them on every 'suspend' and 'resume' so I
can easily get data.

I find it a bit harder at present because all of my batteries with
bq27000 in them have died.  I've got a Nokia BL-5C in my phone at the
moment.
I ripped the bq27000 board off one of the dead batteries and managed to
attach it to another BL-5C so I can do measurements, but only on my old
"spare" board (which has lost its USB connector so I need WIFI for all
networking...)

If I could even get current mainline down to 3.7 power usage levels I'd
probably be motivated to keep working on upstreaming things, but I've
hit a brick all there too.

NeilBrown