[Gta04-owner] Looking for a new project name (gta04-kernel)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jun 8 22:12:43 CEST 2015

Hi all,
as you all know we are maintaining a “production” kernel for GTA04 devices and are working to
get it (again) feature complete (i.e. that it supports all bits and pieces of the GTA04 hardware
including good power management for daily use).

We have made progress - but we are still not there. Linux 4.1-rc7 is now available (see our
Twitter postings) and so will become a long-term kernel in 4.1.x in 1-2 weeks.

While all this work started as a kernel for the GTA04 device (Letux2804) it has broadened
its scope over the past years to other ARM based devices. Still mainly OMAP3 but also
OMAP4 and OMAP5. A list of the currently supported devices is here:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Platforms/

We already support these different boards with a single kernel binary and modules - just
the device tree files differ.

As a next step, we will work on 4.2.

It looks as if Linux 4.2 might bring Device Tree to MIPS machines as well, and therefore there
are chances to finally support even more machines as we already do. Well, not always with the
same binary kernel (ARM vs. MIPS instruction set). But it suffices to just run it twice with different
cross-compilers.

Two of the interesting devices might be well known to this community: Letux 400 MiniBook
and the Ben Nanonote.

This shows a big trend of Linux Kernels: they become more universal and the list of boards
that can be supported is becoming broader.

Therefore, I think we should recognise that “GTA04-Kernel” (and GTA04-boot, -rootfs etc.) is becoming
a misleading name (since GTA04 is just a specific piece of OMAP3+GTM601W hardware), as it implies
a narrow focus that is no longer the case.

And with the new gta04-makesd script we already give the user the impression that we maintain
a “Distribution” for different devices.

So, let me open a discussion and request proposals how we could rename our “Distribution”.

Some aspects to think about:
* it is ARM, OMAP but not necessarily (MIPS is on the radar screen)
* it has its roots in Openmoko, Freerunner, Letux
* and wants to bring long-term support for these devices (if possible)
* should be easy to recognise
* not be used by any similar project to avoid confusion
* the main idea is to add minimally to Linux kernel what should already be there and work permanently on upstreaming
* but it is not only kernel. It is boot loader, makesd script, Debian rootfs, Replicant and potentially other user space flavours

Now, the stage is open for your ideas and comments:

-
-
-

BR and thanks,