[Gta04-owner] [gta02] recycling as gps-synced time server?
ew.ng7125 at nassur.net
Fri Jul 10 17:54:25 CEST 2015
These days I thought about reusing the old GTA02 board
(without display) to do something useful. More precisely, I
contemplate the idea to use the GPS unit and create a gps
synchronized time server. Maybe the whole idea is foolish,
I have a debug board. I can connect and I managed to boot
from an sdcard with the image from here
and login via ssh. So in principle, the board is alive ...
However, its not proven that all missing pieces are
1. Can the old gta02 board be used with a current armhf
image? Debian squeeze or unstable?
2. Do I need to update the bootloader?
3. Is there plausible way to completely disable the GSM
modem? With a solder iron? Or must software switches
4. The board does not boot without a battery. So either I
need a battery in there --- however long it may last --- or
come up with some clever idea to add a 3.7V power supply.
5. Does the GPS unit feature a working 1pps pin, and is that
pin connected to the cpu and accessible?
Any pointers are highly appreciated.
The purpose of computing is insight --- not numbers
More information about the Gta04-owner