[Gta04-owner] [gta02] recycling as gps-synced time server?

Erich Wälde ew.ng7125 at nassur.net
Fri Jul 10 17:54:25 CEST 2015

Hello all,

These days I thought about reusing the old GTA02 board
(without display) to do something useful. More precisely, I
contemplate the idea to use the GPS unit and create a gps
synchronized time server. Maybe the whole idea is foolish,
but anyhow.

I have a debug board. I can connect and I managed to boot
from an sdcard with the image from here
http://download.goldelico.com/gta02/20100713-lenny/
and login via ssh. So in principle, the board is alive ...

However, its not proven that all missing pieces are
available, thus:

1. Can the old gta02 board be used with a current armhf
image? Debian squeeze or unstable?

2. Do I need to update the bootloader?

3. Is there plausible way to completely disable the GSM
modem? With a solder iron? Or must software switches
suffice?

4. The board does not boot without a battery. So either I
need a battery in there --- however long it may last --- or
come up with some clever idea to add a 3.7V power supply.
Any suggestion?

5. Does the GPS unit feature a working 1pps pin, and is that
pin connected to the cpu and accessible?

Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Erich

--
The purpose of computing is insight --- not numbers
R. Hamming