[Gta04-owner] Updates for gta04 DTS file.

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Jan 7 20:27:17 CET 2015

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 21:28:28 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 06.01.2015 um 20:54 schrieb NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de>:

> > Where do you suppose this “discussion during development" might happen?
>
> here on this list.
>
> > As
> > I've said before I think the best place for discussion is on the lists
> > relevant to the specific subsystem. e.g. linux-mmc for mmc related things.
>
> But do they know the GTA04 and what the GTA04 users want?

Nothing in the GTA04 is really specific to the GTA04.  Every problem we face
has been faced by someone else, or will be, or probably is being at this
moment.  Every component in the GTA04 also exist in some other device, though
possibly in a slightly different configuration.

All that is specific to the GTA04 is the particular selection of components
and the exact interconnections.  That is almost completely described by the
DTS file.  Everything else is generic and so people with other hardware could
be interested.

*All* of my interactions with the broader community show that people want to
help make my device work, but they want it to be done in a way that is a
general and idiomatic as possible so that it won't just work for me but will
improve Linux for anyone with a vaguely similar device.  This is exactly as
it should be.

> > We *need* to regularly interact with relevant
> > parts of the broader community - to see ourselves as simply a part of that
> > community and not something separate - to have any hope of producing anything
> > “mature".
>
> That is not excluded and I have had many discussions with Tomi Valkainen to
> fix issues with the display subsystem.
>
> So this all is not excluded by the development model or the gta04-kernel project.

You obviously have had these very productive discussions outside the GTA04
community, yet you seem to be telling me that I should be discussing things
more inside the community.
I am confused by this.
I think it is exactly right that you should  talk to Tomi about dss and I
should talk to Uli about mmc and the rest of the gta04-community is welcome
to listen in but is unlikely to contribute very much.

> The problem is that you appear to think in “patches” while I think in “results” (i.e.
> flat files in a tree).

Definitely agree here.  To me, the patches are as much a part of the result
as the working code is.   The "patch" is the basic unit of communication
between developers.  The comment at the top of the patch is just as important
as the code  in the patch (and sometimes more important).  The patch must
make sense in itself as well as it must improve the code that is being
patched.
Until I have a patch that is ready to post, I don't have anything of value to
anyone but me.

Thanks,
NeilBrown