[Gta04-owner] Upgrade to GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jan 7 19:03:26 CET 2015

Hi,

Am 06.01.2015 um 23:01 schrieb Karsten Düsterloh <kd-gta04 at duesterloh.eu>:

> Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> So I have removed README from the Ignore list so that it is shown as
>> an ordinary file within the list.
>
> Having a README is helpful indeed. :-)
>
>> Is this a sufficient solution and does it provide the missing bits of
>> information?
>
> Some comments on this README file:
> (1)
>> 5. choose a version you want
>>   - GTA04     = Letux 2804
>>   - GTA04b2   = Letux 3704
>>   - GTA04b3   = Letux 7004
>
> It'd be helpful to have the actual device usage there as well, as used
> on <http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Complete>:
> |    - GTA04     = Letux 2804 (smartphone)
> |    - GTA04b2   = Letux 3704 (PDA)
> |    - GTA04b3   = Letux 7004 (tablet)

Well, if it is helpful.

> (2)
> Item "5." is used twice. ;-)

Thanks. Fixed.

> (3)
>> 6. wget -O - http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/production/${version}.dd.bz2 | bunzip2 >/dev/sdc
>
> This must be either "bunzip2 -c" or "bzcat".
> Otherwise it’ll just uncompress the file without writing to the SD card.

Not in this case because it is piped and bunzip2 does not know any file name.

But indeed bzcat is better (although the same function).

Please check if the README is now better.

> (4) SD card size
> The latest 2804 SD card image (20140728-gta04.dd.bz2) size is 1056964608
> bytes. Despite being less than 1 GB, it might (like in my case) *not*
> fit onto a regular 1 GB SD card!
> Users should consult lsblk etc. before.
>> # lsblk -b /dev/sdc
>> NAME   MAJ:MIN RM       SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
>> sdc      8:32   1 1019215872  0 disk

Ok, maybe we should reduce it by some more %. On my cards it always worked.

It should not be a real problem if you can’t write the image up to the last bytes
(except that fsck might complain). AFAIR only ca. 500 MByte are really used
and the remainder is zeroed out.

> (5) Bootloader flashing
>> 1. insert the SD card to your device and it will flash a new boot loader
>
> This is a bit unclear. AFAICT this is meant to mean that the as soon as
> the battery is inserted, the Boot loader will be flashed? (This was the
> only time I saw a complety red screen, and only for a very short time.)

Yes. This is a special feature of the “production images”. Consider someone
sitting at a desk having a pile of freshly produced GTA04 boards and does
the first power-up. In that case everything done automatically saves time
and the red screen is a feedback.

It will then check if the same boot loader version is already in NAND and
skip reflashing next time.

> After this step, at least the nice AUX-pressed touch menu is back.

Because the boot loader is ok :)

> And, FWIW, I *one time* saw the items "Blink" (color change of start
> button) and "Button LED" (turn green AUX led on) do something, although
> they don’t do anymore now. :-/

Hm. It should run the tests. Maybe it is aborted immediately if you touch too
long or hold a button pressed. Or is your AUX button stuck a little (can happen
with camera installed).

> The item "NAND" is, for obvious reasons, still failing (see below).
>

> (6) Flashing to NAND
>> 1. Boot the device (again) from this SD card and connect through Ethernet over USB
>
> "This" is a bit unclear; I suppose "this" shall refer to the newly
> created one, not the one mentioned in (2.) under Bootloader flashing.

It should be the same card with the production image (the whole description
refers to a single production image card).

> Also, booting from this card just shows a completely white screen for
> me, which should be mentioned as well (if that is intended behaviour
> which I guess it is not).

Well, it is not intended and can not exactly be predicted. The reason is that
after flashing the boot menu, the kernel from the SD starts. But is not correctly
initialized, hence the white display.

I do not remember the technical reason but it was impossible to boot it perfectly.
On next reboot the display should work (boot loader from NAND and kernel/rootfs
from the SD card).

>> 3. run ./flash-nand
>
> Doesn't work. *sigh*
>> root at gta04:~# ./flash-nand
>> flashing Kernel
>> flash_eraseall has been replaced by `flash_erase <mtddev> 0 0`; please use it
>> flash_erase: error!: /dev/mtd3
>>             error 2 (No such file or directory)
>
> More info:
>> root at gta04:~# lsblk
>> NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
>> mmcblk0     179:0    0  14.9G  0 disk
>> |-mmcblk0p1 179:1    0    64M  0 part /boot
>> `-mmcblk0p2 179:2    0   944M  0 part /
>> root at gta04:~# df
>> Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> rootfs            935064 752824    133908  85% /
>> /dev/root         935064 752824    133908  85% /
>> devtmpfs          242460      0    242460   0% /dev
>> tmpfs              50172    272     49900   1% /run
>> tmpfs               5120      0      5120   0% /run/lock
>> tmpfs             100320      0    100320   0% /dev/shm
>> tmpfs             250840      4    250836   1% /tmp
>> tmpfs             250840      0    250840   0% /var/tmp
>> /dev/mmcblk0p1   1030096   5252   1024844   1% /boot
>> root at gta04:~# uname -a
>> Linux gta04 3.16.0-rc6-gta04 #705 SMP Sun Jul 27 12:31:14 CEST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

Ah I see. For some reason there is a 3.16.0 kernel. This kernel does not boot
if flashed to NAND.

It is device tree based and the NAND device tree boot is not working.
In addition the UBIFS system has changed on 3.13 and later. So for booting
from NAND only it needs a quite old kernel (3.7 or maybe 3.8 - if I remember
correctly the 3.12 also fails).

Did you run ./flash-nand from the boot loader installation card?

So we have to find where the 3.16 kernel is coming from and replace it
by a “good” one.

Well, it is approx. 2 years back when these images were really heavily
used so I do not remember all details :)

> I also tried running ./camera-demo to test the camera, but that also
> failed miserably (due to several failed install of packets it needs, eg.
>
> Err http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main libavutil51 armhf
> 6:0.8.12-1
>  404  Not Found
> Err http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main libavutil51 armhf
> 6:0.8.12-1
>  404  Not Found
> Err http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main libavutil51 armhf
> 6:0.8.12-1
>  404  Not Found [IP: 64.50.236.52 80]
>
> etc.pp.

Appears to be some dependency problem. Maybe Debian has moved
things to a different server or path.

And the only kernel where the camera works is the 3.12.