[Gta04-owner] Updates for gta04 DTS file.

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Jan 6 21:06:37 CET 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 23:20:48 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 05.01.2015 um 23:02 schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

> > Acking is the critical piece of work. Not formatting and sending patches. So your offer
> > does not reduce significant work.
>
> And, I would like to check and find out who the original author of the changes was
> since they are in both trees.
>
> If it was in our gta04-kernel tree and you have just copied it from there or were the
> second to reinvent it, it should honestly be signed off by the original author (even
> if Marek ack’s and you submit).

I didn't copy anything.  I wrote originals as needed.  Had I copies yours I
would have included your signed-off-by.

"Signed-off-by" isn't about authorship.  The "Author" tag or "From:" line
gives authorship.
"Signed-off-by" is a statement about copyright.  See the "Developer's
Certificate of Origin" for details (Documention/SubmittingPatches) but it
essentially means:
  I wrote this or know who did, and I attest that it can be used under the
  relevant open source license (GPLv2 in the case of the kernel).

If both you and I wrote identical patches, then there in clearly no
significant creative input and nothing that can be copyrighted.
In fact, we didn't write identical patches at all, though some of the code is
the same.  We split the code up into patches quite differently in most cases.

Still, if you think you wrote it first and want your code to go upstream with
your authorship and your signed-off-by, please do that.  I'd be very happy to
see the code upstream no matter how it got there.

Thanks,
NeilBrown