[Gta04-owner] [Announce] Goldelico Replicant Testing Snapshot (2015.02)

Lukas Maerdian luk at slyon.de
Mon Feb 9 21:20:55 CET 2015

Hello everybody!

Today I'm happy to announce a new testing release of the Goldelico
Replicant 4.2 distribution. The free GTA04 Android/Replicant port
improved quite a bit during the last few months. I'll try to summarize
what happened since our last testing snapshot:

* RIL: improved modem power-on sequence
* RIL: basic incoming and outgoing SMS support
* RIL: software routing in voice calls (A3 + A4)
* RIL: basic USSD support
* RIL: basic DTMF support
* Kernel: resolved modem suspend issue

As you can see, the main effort of this release was to integrate the
core functionality in the Radio Interface Layer (RIL), in order to
improve the GTA04 phone functionality. Most of the features expected
from a phone are now implemented and working/demonstrable. The RIL (and
especially the mobile network status reporting) is not very stable yet,
though. So, you might have to play around with the
Flight-Mode/Data-Enable toggles, in order to make it work. Also, the
sound quality in voice calls is not very good, this is due to
non-optimized software-routing code and it will improve quite a bit (on
A4 devices) once we get the voice hardware-routing configuration right.

If you appreciate what you see here, I'd like to kindly ask you to
consider making a donation to the GTA04 project. The GTA04 project is
run by Goldelico, who is sponsoring my work on this project. Your
donations will help to keep our efforts going and support projects such
as Android porting, Kernel upstreaming, project representation at
conferences and more. Donations can be made here:

  https://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation

=== Download ===
http://download.goldelico.com/gta04-replicant/4.2/20150205-replicant+VoiceCall.tbz

=== Installation ===
The installation of this single-partition system is very easy and plays
nicely with other installed OSes (multi-boot):
* mount an empty SD card partition to /media/roofs
* download 20150205-replicant+VoiceCall.tbz
* sudo tar xjvf 20150205-replicant+VoiceCall.tbz -C /media/rootfs/
* sync
* unmount the SD card and boot your GTA04 with it

Alternatively, you can make use of the new 'makesd' script [0] to
prepare a SD card for you:
* DEV=/dev/sdX ./makesd -v latest replicant

=== Documentation ===
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/

=== Changelog & Issues ===
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-replicant/issues/
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-replicant-device.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/replicant-4.2
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.12-replicant4

=== Get involved ===
We're a small team, always looking for your support, be it code,
testing, documentation or donations. If you'd like to get involved,
please have a look at the documentation page.

-- Munich, 2015-02-09

Kind regards,
  Lukas Märdian

[0] http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-makesd/