[Gta04-owner] Linux gta04 4.0.0-gta04+ #1040 SMP Mon Apr 13 10:03:43 CEST 2015 armv7l

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Apr 13 10:53:39 CEST 2015

It appears as if there haven’t been many blocking issues and Linus released Kernel 4.0 tonight.

So I have updated our tree (and not seen any significant changes to rc7):

	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/4.0

(as usual it will be mirrored to https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel in the next hours).

So Linus will now start the next merge window for 4.1-rc1 and I hope that some (minor) patches
we have submitted will then arrive.

About the general status, we recently did not have much progress in fixing and upstreaming
gta04 specific things.

This has several reasons. From my PoV:
* there have been some proposals that did raise some fundamental questions what the right
   way for implementation is
* Linux maintainers have become more critical (in my observation there are less ARM and
   DT related patches proposed, so they might simply have more time to look into details)
* we are still stuck in some areas and don’t even have a working solution for improvement
   until it can be upstreamed

A minor thing to note is that the Letux 400 project [3] has started to think about DT support
for the jz4730 CPU and the Letux 400 “MiniPC”. Therefore I have looked into the current
kernel tree and LKML and it looks promising what happens there. The jz4740 already has
or will soon get primitive Device Tree support, so that in some far future, we can have a
single “gta04”-kernel tree that supports this device as well. If you find some references
in the git commits or tree, you will then know what it is about.

So your support (at any level or area) is always welcome.