[Gta04-owner] Firefox OS (was: Upgrade to GTA04)

Adrien Dorsaz adrien at adorsaz.ch
Mon Nov 24 22:59:22 CET 2014

Hello,

I'm just reading a bit more the big FxOS documentation, and I've found
below answers :

Le lun 24 nov 2014 à 10:52, Adrien Dorsaz <adrien at adorsaz.ch> a écrit
:

>> Also, FxOS seems to require some OpenGL - so it'd need closed SGX
>> drivers on GTA04. How usable it is without it - I have no idea (my
>> FxOS build produced only damaged binaries :P), but given that Firefox
>> The Browser doesn't even launch without it I'm not very optimistic.
>
> I had same conclusion indeed. It will be good to ask on Firefox OS
> dev mailing list these two questions :
>
> *) Is OpenGL support needed for FxOS too ?

Well, Firefox OS uses OpenGL ES 2.0 through Gonk to display GL context
wrapper (see [0])

> *) Is porting from Android 4.2 feasible ?

It seems they clearly list Android supported revision : 4.0.4 (ICS),
4.3 (Jelly Bean) and 4.4 (KitKat). Found here : [1]

IIRC, 4.2 was Jelly Bean too, so I don't know if they talk about 4.3
just because it's the latest Jelly Bean revision or if there's hard
requirement on this revisions. Reading the Wikipedia page about Jelly
Bean [2], it seems to just improve work on 4.2 without big changes
excepted for Bluetooth low energy, support of OpenGL ES 3.0, ... Maybe
it will work on Replicant 4.2.

Regards,
Adrien

[0]: