[Gta04-owner] gta04-kernel: deviation statistics

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 4 22:26:07 CET 2014

Hi all,
I regularily run a statistics tool that shows how much we had to patch the vanilla kernel during
our gta04-kernel developments. Not all changes can be upstreamed at all, but several
can (and we do).

Here it is (not counting things that can’t be upstreamed like kernel configs or the PVR/SGX):

GTA04 3.12.0 is away from Linus/v3.12 by 85 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.12.7 is away from Linus/v3.12.7 by 85 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.13.0 is away from Linus/v3.13 by 84 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.14-rc2 is away from Linus/v3.14-rc2 by 133 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.16-rc6 is away from Linus/v3.16-rc6 by 104 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.16-rc7 is away from Linus/v3.16-rc7 by 109 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17-rc1 is away from Linus/v3.17-rc1 by 108 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17-rc2 is away from Linus/v3.17-rc2 by 115 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17-rc3 is away from Linus/v3.17-rc3 by 113 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17-rc4 is away from Linus/v3.17-rc4 by 118 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17-rc6 is away from Linus/v3.17-rc6 by 125 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17-rc7 is away from Linus/v3.17-rc7 by 132 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.17.0 is away from Linus/v3.17 by 132 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.18-rc1 is away from Linus/v3.18-rc1 by 131 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.18-rc2 is away from Linus/v3.18-rc2 by 133 files with differences to be upstreamed
GTA04 3.18-rc3 is away from Linus/v3.18-rc3 by 132 files with differences to be upstreamed

Would it be useful to show this statistics somewhere online (e.g. on the project documentation?).

The big change was from 3.13 to 3.14 where we had introduced device trees.

After that we deviated a little more and more - mainly because we added more functionality
and support for more devices (e.g. Letux 3704, OMAP5EVM/Pyra) which needed to pull in
or develop some new drivers that are not (yet) existent in vanilla Linux. We will try to push
some as well.

So it looks good with 3.18-rc3! The diff has already been reduced a little because one of our
patches was accepted immediately as a bug fix :) So Linus did catch up to our work. And we
have not introduced new drivers or files.

Since some patches are already in the pipeline, there is some chance that it will go down
with 3.19-rc1 by a bigger step.

Well, not all subsystems work yet, but mainly because of bugs in drivers or config and not
because we are missing drivers completely. So it is unlikely that the diff count will increase
again. Because we have at least a non-working stub for every function we had in 3.7 or 3.12.

Recently I also did try a different evaluation. I counted the total number of files (find . -type f | wc .l)
the Linux kernel has (our 3.18-rc3 in clean state):

50085

If we compare the 133 diffs we have, this is just 0,26%!

In other words, we already use 99,73% of the vanilla kernel.

Or translated into another comparison: we are almost there! It is just 109m from the target
line of a Marathon run :)

So let’s roll up our sleeves and walk the final meters.