[Gta04-owner] Further 3.17 kernel development for GTA04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Nov 3 08:27:25 CET 2014

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 07:57:00 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 03.11.2014 um 07:44 schrieb NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de>:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 07:00:42 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
> > <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> ah, did you solve the ALSA sound driver issues?
> >
> > What ALSA sound driver issues?
>
> Proper device tree based Tri-State control for McBSP to switch between hardware and
> software routing.
>
> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/587/
>
> And, I had to disable something because I got kernel panics.
>
> Which sound system did you use? ti,omap-twl4030 or goldelico,gta04-audio?

I don't have the goldelico one at all.  Just ti,omap-twl4030 with some
modification to support an external device connected to the voice port.

> [...]
> >> LNA power explicitly. But keep gpsd and tangogps running. A user might
> >> be just looking into local maps.
> >
> > It can be added back if it is really needed.
> > It always thought it was a bit odd as rfkill is, like you say, primarily
> > about transmitters.
> >
> > I'd like to know if anyone else is using a 'gps' rfkill  ... I couldn't find
> > any documentation or useful references last time I looked.
>
> I don’t know either, but that nobody might have to solve the same problem
> as we have to solve.

> >> What are these gpios good for? The modem should be controlled through
> >> rfkill wwan. For this we have prepared a special driver in the gta04-kernel that
> >> pulses the modem gpio in a similar way as for GPS (there is no UART we can
> >> use to auto-control modem power).
> >
> > A driver which I obviously don't have.  I'll try to look at it when I get a
> > chance.
> > My user-space code wants to poke the gpio, so I provided it.
> > The others I just provided to I could be certain they were in the correct
> > position for low power usage.

> >> the hdq patch (there is a missing/wrong compatible entry in the driver)
> >> appears to be the last missing piece we have to make it working .
> >>
> >> Does it work for you? I see it start up and read the bq27000 several times,
> >> but ca. 4.5 seconds after kernel startup it stops. I suspect some IRQ
> >> interference (maybe from a subsystem that you do not have).
> >
> > It works very reliably for me.
> > The behaviour you describe is vaguely reminiscent of problems I was having
> > ages ago which were due to runtime PM issues with the hdq driver.  I think
> > the fixes went upstream, possibly
> > commit c354a86484b61e32100eb94c1f3f0aa512958cee
> >
> > Looking at my mail records, the issue was fixed in 3.6.
> >
> > There was one time recently when reads from one of the sysfs bq27000 files started
> > returning ENXIO (or maybe ENODEV), but it hasn't happened again.  I'll keep an eye
> > out for problems.
>
> It is indeed strange. I have added some printk to report hdq write&read and timeouts:
>
> [    3.894470] omapfb omapfb: no displays
> [    3.899444] omapfb omapfb: failed to setup omapfb
> [    3.904449] platform omapfb: Driver omapfb requests probe deferral
> [    3.912017] platform 4806a000.serial: Driver omap_uart requests probe deferral
> [    3.920532] platform 4806c000.serial: Driver omap_uart requests probe deferral
> [    3.929016] platform 480b4000.mmc: Driver omap_hsmmc requests probe deferral
> [    3.938201] ALSA device list:
> [    3.941314]   No soundcards found.
> [    3.947357] hdq_write_byte(00000027) ok
> [    3.951568] hdq_read_byte -> 00
> [    4.148071] hdq_write_byte timeout
> [    4.350708] hdq_read_byte timeout
> [    4.548431] hdq_write_byte timeout
> [    4.748565] hdq_read_byte timeout
> [    4.948394] hdq_write_byte timeout
>
> I suspect some other subsystem might be influencing interrupts.
>
> Something to locate by disabling one driver after the other…

Can't explain that.  Both my A3 and A4 boards work.
Maybe watch 'grep hdq /proc/interrupts' and see if it changes at all.

NeilBrown