[Gta04-owner] Further 3.17 kernel development for GTA04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sun Nov 2 10:51:15 CET 2014

I've made some useful progress.

Nearly all the things that I need regularly work.  So I can make phone calls
(on the GTA04a4, not on the a3), use the wifi, charge the battery and
monitor its status, and turn the GPS on/off using my new approach.  There is
no-longer an 'rfkill' for GPS - opening /dev/ttyO1 does all that is needed.
I'm not entirely happy with this code yet but it is quite usable.

Suspend seems to work reliably, but power usage is way too high - about
50mA.  There are hints in some patches in 3.18-rc, so USB might be to blame
for some of that extra usage, so I'll probably be looking that that when I
next get some time.

My kernel doesn't currently "export" the various GPIOs that need to be
manually poked.
I have this code:

  for l in 186,high 175,high 23,low 21,high
  do
     g=${l%,*}
     echo $g > /sys/class/gpio/export
     echo ${l#*,} > /sys/class/gpio/gpio$g/direction
  done

in an init.d script which sets some of these up.  GPIO186 is particularly
needed for turning the GSM modem on.

I've re-organised my tree as a set of topic branch, mostly based on
v3.17, though the 'dts' branch with device-tree changes is based on

 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap
   tag omap-for-v3.17/dt-gta04
 which has some gta04 stuff that didn't quite make 3.17 - is in 3.18-rc1

The branches are:

'dts', 'hdq', 'dss', 'pwm-old', 'input', 'hacks', 'wifi', 'extcon', 'itg',
 'tty-slave', 'audio', 'twl4030' and 'charger'

which can individually be merged into the goldelico tree as required.
They can be found on git://neil.brown.name/gta04 or viewed at

   http://git.neil.brown.name/?p=gta04.git;a=heads

NeilBrown