[Gta04-owner] Experimental userspace with web UI, connman, dasher etc.

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Fri May 9 03:15:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:46 AM, Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
> For me the great thing about the GTA04 is how I can experiment with it.
> It's wonderful that we have QtMoko and Replicant, but it's also fun to
> try creating a system from scratch.  I'm particularly interested in a
> few things:

Yes, it's great, but it's truly awesome only when someone actually
uses this possibility! :)

> - A userspace that is more like standard GNU/Linux than QtMoko or
>   Replicant; for example by using Xorg for display, and more generally
>   by reusing useful components where they already exist instead of
>   reinventing lots (e.g. oFono, offlineimap).

That's why I've been always using SHR on my Freerunner - it provides
much more standard GNU/Linux experience while still being somewhat
mobile optimized.

However, is there any particular reason why you mentioned oFono
instead of freesmartphone.org?

I think that besides of fsogsmd (direct oFono competitor, which
actually came long before it) you might want to look at other FSO
daemons like fsodeviced or fsousaged. Depending on how low-level you
want to get with your DIY stuff, they might be very useful and they
IMO fit quite well into standard GNU/Linux ecosystem. They're even
packaged in Debian.

> I've been _very_ slowly working on this and have just recorded and
> posted a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-b8kAdtHko.  Apologies
> in advance that the audio quality is so appalling!

Thanks for sharing it *now* - just as I gather material for a local
OpenPhoenux talk I'll be giving in a week, so you can expect some
screens from your project to be shown there :) (BTW - if there's
someone from Poland reading this - zapraszam na P.I.W.O w Poznaniu :)
http://piwo.informatyka.org/ )

> - The main UI pages are HTML+CSS+Javascript pages running in the "surf"
>   browser, with two phone-hosted web servers: lighttpd for static
>   content and my own Guile Scheme code for dynamic content.  The next
>   piece of infrastructure I need here is server-side WebSockets so that
>   the server can signal updates without the web page having to poll.

Some time ago I've been also experimenting with similar idea, but due
to lack of GTA04, I used Nokia N900 for that (actually, it was
N900/Freerunner hybrid, as I launched GUI on N900 and backend on
Freerunner, cause it was easier for me to properly set up FSO for
Freerunner's modem :D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKyK-h4i_wM

Browser here was fullscreened Chromium (launched in Debian chroot) and
backend based on node.js, which was communicating via dbus (forwarded
to another, off-screen Freerunner) with fsogsmd.

Great job, looking forward to future progress!

Cheers,
--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos
http://dosowisko.net/