[Gta04-owner] Shapeways case and MMC connector

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Sat Apr 12 17:14:25 CEST 2014

Le samedi 12 avril 2014 à 11:38 +0200, Paul Kocialkowski a écrit :
> > I broke my MMCX connector a long time ago and have just covered the
> > hole.  If you don't use the external antenna, you don't need the
> > connector.  Depending on the cost of the print, you could just order a
> > new middle piece that doesn't include that hole.
>
> Oh but I really want to use the external antenna! Staying with a missing
> MMCX connector is not an option for me, thanks for the tips though :)

After about 4 hours of fighting with my soldering iron, inhaling more
tin smoke than I should have inhaled and soldering/unsoldering the
connector about a dozen times, I finally got the middle connector to
make reliable contact with the board. The soldering is apparently not
very strong (probably not stronger than it was originally), so I'll have
to remember to be very gentle with it.

Now the external antenna is recognized properly by the switch sysfs and
I was able to get a fix using the external antenna on Debian.

I just hope it'll hold for the time being, so that I don't have to go
through the same process of soldering the connector back another time.

Next step is adding GPS support to Replicant!

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us/
Wiki/Tracker:   http://redmine.replicant.us/