[Gta04-owner] Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Sep 4 09:14:48 CEST 2013

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 12:47:04 +0200 Adrien Dorsaz <adrien at adorsaz.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've tried to restart QtMoko (software), but the battery is still
> discharging.
>
> Le dimanche 01 septembre 2013 à 16:09 +1000, NeilBrown a écrit :
> >
> > What does
> >   cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/uevent
>
> POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=twl4030_usb
> POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Not charging
> POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=0
>

> > show when it isn't charging but should be?
> >
> > What does
> >  cat /sys/devices/platform/omap_i2c.1/i2c-1/1-004b/twl4030_bci/max_current
> > give?
>
> 599089
> >
> > If you
> >   echo N > /sys/module/twl4030_charger/parameters/allow_usb
> >   echo 490000 > /sys/module/twl4030_charger/parameters/default_usb_current
> >
> > then plug in the power (unplugging first if necessary) does it change the
> > contents of
> >    cat /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb/uevent
> POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=twl4030_usb
> POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
> POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1
> POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4892745
> POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=850021
>
> Yes it was modified. I've applied commands above, unplugged and then
> plugged.
> > or
> >    cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/uevent
> POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=bq27000-battery
> POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
> POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
> POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=3824000
> POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=-480879
> POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=23
> POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Normal
> POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=281
> POWER_SUPPLY_TIME_TO_FULL_NOW=9420
> POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
> POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=1099203
> POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=251328
> POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=1233792
> POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=154
> POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=803000
> POWER_SUPPLY_POWER_AVG=0
> POWER_SUPPLY_HEALTH=Good
>
> Seems good too.

Something weird here.

The initial current limit was 600mA.  This is more than a USB port is
guaranteed to provide.  Maybe the port noticed the excess current and
switched off.

Then you told it to limit to 490mA which a USB 2.0 port can provide.  With
that setting it started charging, but with a current of 850mA !!!  That is
more than it should allow, and more than the port should provide.

The battery reports an inflow of 480mA, which suggests 370mA is being used
by the phone.  That is a little high,  but not unreasonable depending on
which bits are turned on.

It really looks like something is going wrong with the max-current setting.
I'll have another look at that.

Thanks,
NeilBrown