[Gta04-owner] Modem off

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Nov 5 15:02:34 CET 2013

Hi,

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:51:26 +0100
Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On Monday, November 04, 2013 11:09:27 PM Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 08:19 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> > > I've experimented with "rmmod ehci_hcd" just before suspend, and
> > > "modprobe" on resume, but so far that has just caused a mess.
> > > I've looked at the code, and it is rather complex.
> > > It has also changed a lot in 3.10.  So I'm going to defer exploring this
> > > more until I start on 3.10+ again, probably in a couple of weeks.
> >
> > In 3.12 I get also around 15mA more current in suspend with modem off.
> > than with modem on. (suspend does not work reliable with that kernel for
> > me and I have 60mA/85mA current consumption)
> >
> > In 3.7 with enabled modem
> > doing "echo ehci-omap.0 >unbind" in
> > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/ehci-omap
> > also increases current. (I get 40mA then)
> > doing "echo echi-omap.0 >bind"
> > decreases it again to around 20mA.
> > That is also strange.

btw: what is different in doing rmmod/modprobe and doing the unbind/bind?

> > Hmm, what a about doing modprobe/rmmod in
> > modem-poweron.sh/modem-poweroff.sh?
>
> What would it be good for?
>
> I think Neil's idea was to rmmof USB in sleep. Incoming call modem wakes the
> devices up via interrupt, we load the USB driver and using CLCC we detect who
> is calling etc... I havent tried myself, but this seems doable. In qtmoko you
> can add "rmmod ehci_hcd" to before-suspend.sh and modprobe to after-resume.sh
> scripts to implement it.

Hmm, the problem was the suspend current is higher when the modem is off.
And then Neil found out that removing ehci-hcd reduces that. So if rmmod ehci-hcd
reduces suspend current when modem is off, then do the rmmod when the modem is turned off
(so it is also not present when the device is suspended with modem off)

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade