[Gta04-owner] [Shr-Devel] issues related to touchscreen twitchiness on GTA04

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu May 30 02:11:01 CEST 2013

Benjamin Deering <ben_deering at swissmail.org> writes:

> On 05/16/2013 06:17 AM, Lukas Märdian wrote:
>> There is now some new information about this issue.
>>
>> A new patch appeared [0] in the gta04 hw-validation kernel, which fixes
>> the jitter in the GTA04's touchscreen (TSC-2007) driver.
>>
>> With this patch applied the GTA04 should work nicer with the evdev
>> driver. Someone should confirm this is an improvement and then we should
>> apply the patch to our kernel.
>>
>> BR,
>>    Lukas
>>
>> [0] http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=commit;h=8286d0
>>
> I am currently using that kernel with my very-hacked shr.  I built
> with that patch tonight and the difference seems to be that it detects
> less movement when your finger is not moving on the screen.  This
> would be most noticeable in things like eve and foxtrotgps.
>
> The touchscreen driver used with that kernel works much better than
> the one in the current SHR kernel.  The tsc2007-gta04 driver already
> had a few improvements that might be able to be put in the 3.4.9
> kernel.

I've just built that kernel (same commit as [0] above), and the
touchscreen response looks good to me too.  My interest started from
jitter experienced when using QX under QtMoko [1].

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2013-April/068505.html

I'm testing with an auto-configured Xorg, which means using evdev for
all input.  (The rootfs is QtMoko, but for this test I've shut QtMoko
down.)  My test app is foxtrotgps, and it feels like my ability to click
its buttons, to scroll the viewport, and to click to bring up the
context menu are all much improved by the new kernel, compared to what I
remember from when I last tried this in April.

(Thanks Nikolaus!)

Regards,
        Neil