[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Tue May 21 16:19:00 CEST 2013

Hello Nikolaus,

> Well, the easiest interface for this is using USB... has power and data.
> Can multiplex sound-data with data-data.

OK, it wasn't plain to me that it's so easy. I thought it would also need
serial and audio interfaces.

> All countries in the world have a quite strict radio regulation since
almost 100 years (ITU).

But in some countries the next sheriff is hundreds of kilometers away. :D
:D

> The key problem in getting certification is that not only the radio
emissions must match, but also
> the protocol must pass all tests. This is a very high requirement for
the firmware.

That's clear.

> I.e. it does not work with a "let's fix that later" attitude typical in
open source. And finally the
> organization asking for certification must fulfill some requirements
(paperwork), i.e. everything
> during development must be documented and traceable, ISO9000 etc.

That's a really high barrier that I wasn't aware of. It reveals how much
work Openmoko really did and how much money they had to invest. With ~18k
sold devices they never could have got it back.

> Well, nobody has started to develop anything for 3G yet, although the
hardware is
> already available...
> This is not a technical issue, it is IMHO more a problem of society in
general. It may
> appear easier to buy something closed at 200 EUR than to learn how to
open it.

Yes, indeed it's a problem of society in general that so few people have
enough Ferraris...   ;-))

> Yes, I really appreciate your fresh ideas!

Thanks.

> And maybe it triggers someone else to new ideas.

IIUC, it just triggered a new idea from you:

> And, for development of an open 4G board it would be easier to make some
sort of development
> board (not a complete device) having (extra) battery, antenna and USB
connectors. And a
> RF/Baseband chip + some ARM processor or FPGA with integrated ARM. Maybe
10 x 10cm. And
> you can connect it to a GTA04 on the OTG host port to use the GTA04 as
the audio/voice frontend.
> This will be good enough for the firsts 2-5 years until everything is
stable enough to integrate it into
> a handset.

+1

Best regards