[Gta04-owner] GTA04A5 - was 8mW sleep for Beagle Board

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jan 10 07:20:24 CET 2013

Am 10.01.2013 um 00:36 schrieb Butrus Damaskus:

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:55:52 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
>> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, that is planned to be finalized this week.
>>>
>>> Important (i.e. kernel relevant) changes are so far:
>>> * power down 26 MHz oscillator through switching off VPLL1 (tbc.)
>>> * LIS302 option removed completely
>>> * LSM303 option removed completely
>>> * BMA180 / HMC5883 replaced by BMC050
>>> * GPS-chip has 1 second pulse - connected to GPIO114 (was connected to LIS302)
>>> * IrDA can be separately enabled/disabled (GPIO175 or TGPIO7 - tbc.)
>>> * TCA8418 replaced by FFC connector (for external keyboard)
>>> * there will be an optional connection that a 3G wakeup can simulate pressing the power key (tbc.)
>>> * switch in headset jack will pull down a GPIO if no headset is inserted (tbc.)
>>> * RESET-OUT from UMTS module connected to a GPIO so that it is possible to detect if it is really running (tbc.)
>>>

>> Sounds good. thanks.
>>
>> Though I wonder a bit about IrDA - does anyone actually care about that?  I
>> would imagine that most situations that would once have used IrDA would not
>> be using bluetooth.
>
> I think IrDA maybe easier to use with MCU's (and doesn't interfere
> with WiFi in 2.4GHz)...
>
>> The OMAP3 is capable of generating CIR (Consumer IR) signals which most
>> consumer electronics remote controls use.  That might be more useful, however
>> it needs to be wired differently.
>
> In order to generate CIR a simple GPIO with PWM connected to a cheap
> IR LED might
> be sufficient...
>
>> The CIR signal goes out on the uart3_cts_rctx  pin, where as IrDA goes out on
>> uart3_tx_irtx - So I don't think they can use the same IrLED (???).
>>

>>> Some options are a little critical and can't be tested before building the first devices.
>>> So there will be hardware options to disable/remove them if they don't work well enough.
>>>
>>> Non-software related changes replace some obsolete components, improve the
>>> GPS antenna switch, reduce noise generated by SD card interface, and make a
>>> really complete case kit possible with components from continued production.
>>>
>>> But at the moment it does not look as if there is any demand for a GTA04A5 board.
>>> So far there is exactly 1 preorder for a GTA04A5 board...
>>
>> That's a shame.  Maybe demand will pick up as Christmas gets further and
>> further into the past...
>>

> Well, for many people 555€ is a lot of money... :-/

Yes I know.

But there is something which cheaper alternatives don't offer:
* schematics & documentation available
* a community to discuss details
* made in Germany
* almost all components are available through big distributors in small quantities, i.e. it is possible to take it as the starting point for your own design
* cutting edge Linux available (currently kernel 3.7)
* actively supported for long time (2 years now - if you include the GTA01/02 it is the 6th year now)
* nice platform to experiment with
* reuse instead of throw away and replace with something completely incompatible/different
* you know whom you support
* opportunity to make proposals for future development and bring in ideas
* chance to port any operating system where you have the sources and a chance to get it 100% running (not only 90% because of lack of documentation)

Unfortunately some of these features make it impossible to get down to a lower price (production of small quantities in central Europe) without having someone subsidize it.