[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Fri Feb 22 08:54:36 CET 2013

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

>> I noticed this in the flash-nand source code
>> (http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=debian/config/root/flash-nand):
>>
>>  # DEFAULT="-x -b -k -j" ### we can't write X-Loader yet
>>  DEFAULT="-k -j"
>
> Yes, only U-Boot can flash X-Loader and uboot.flash into NAND.

OK, so that is not a problem.

>> Could the problem be that there is still something odd sitting in my
>> X-Loader NAND block?
>>
>> Could it be that booting my _old_ QtMoko card reinstalled the above old
>> boot menu?
>
> Yes. This is the most likely explanation since there is only room for one
> image file in NAND.
>
> Just boot again with the /20121212-GTA04-Production SD and it should
> switch forth to the newest one (Kernel and jffs2 are not touched).

Thanks, that has worked now.  I am seeing the new boot menu and I can
boot a new QtMoko from partition 2.

> In the long run you should only have at most one SD card with U-Boot/MLO
> etc. in a FAT partition to reinstall/recover the boot loader. All other SD
> cards should not have this.

Agreed.

Now SHR...  SHR is on partition 1, and when I try to boot it, I only see
a mostly blank screen with small Tux in the top left corner, and the
booting never apparently goes further than that.

Here's the SHR rootfs preparation that I've done:

- Partition 1, 2Gb, ext3.

- Downloaded
  http://build.shr-project.org/shr-core/images/om-gta04/shr-image-om-gta04.tar.gz.

- Unpack that onto partition 1 using "tar xzvpf
  shr-image-om-gta04.tar.gz --numeric-owner".

[ Tried a boot at this point. ]

- Downloaded
  http://trac.shr-project.org/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/Devices/GTA04/InstallGuide/bootargs.scr.

- Copied that to /boot/bootargs.scr on partition 1.

[ Tried a boot at this point. ]

- Noticed that /boot/uImage is a symbolic link and wondered if GTA04
  u-boot can really boot a symbolic link, so changed uImage to be a copy
  of uImage-3.4.9.

[ Tried a boot at this point. ]

Can SHR folk see what might be wrong?

Note that I never see the SHR logo.bmp at all.  Can something be
inferred from that?

Thanks,
        Neil