[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: MMCX connector

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Feb 19 11:17:56 CET 2013

Am 19.02.2013 um 11:07 schrieb Sven Dyroff:

> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> >> one more suggestion for improvements that should be made on the GTA04A5:
> >> Please make the solder contacts of the MMCX connector more stable! Currently
> >> I can confirm that it's indeed very easy to break them...   :-(
> >
> > If you know a manufacturer of such a connector that has the right height above the
> > PCB and is surface mountable... The one we use was the best and only one we
> > could get hands on.
>
> perhaps a stupid question: Isn't it possible to simply make bigger pads on the board and spend more soldering paste on them? The used MMCX connector itself seems completely ok for me, but its connections to the board are definitely too weak.

They are as specified by the manufacturer and using more solder paste gives risk of the component swimming away and giving short circuits.
Since we have not yet ordered PCBs for the GTA04A5 we can try to make some modifications.

The main problem is that the connector may be stuck in the case and when lifting the PCB whilte the connector is still in the case introduces a very strong leverage force.

BTW: the connector used in the GTA02 sits on two long bars on the left and right side so that the contact area between connector and solder is much bigger.