[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Feb 16 20:35:02 CET 2013

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

>> Am I correct that "installed" means "installed to NAND"?  And that it
>> should in principle work to have a boot system in NAND only?
>
> NAND should have installed:
> * X-loader
> * U-Boot
> * images
> * boot.scr
>
> to be useable.
>
> Alternatively, you can have on a SD:
> * MLO (variant of X-loader)
> * U-Boot
> * images
> * boot.scr
>
> If you have neither of both, obviously you can't boot.

I wonder if my NAND is working.  I'll try copying those boot files from
my makesd card to my QtMoko/SHR card.

>>> This one should work, but I have seen that it has a bug.
>>
>> What do you mean by "This one"?  http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/
>> has many subfolders, many of which provide a makesd script.
>
> It hasn't changed for a while (at least 6 months) except that each
> version in the archive (this is what the subfolders are) should have the
> correct

And also except for uboot.bin being updated to handle ext4, around mid
January?

My QtMoko/SHR card uses ext4, so if the 20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32 uboot
can't handle ext4, that would obviously be a problem.

>>> [ "$SERVER" ] || export SERVER=
>
> line or it will install a different version than you think.
>

>>> It did reference the
>>> kernel files from the current unstable kernel. I.e. you can't correctly
>>> boot with it.
>>>
>>> The $SERVER line should read as:
>>>
>>> [ "$SERVER" ] || export SERVER=http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32
>>
>> OK, from that I guess you probably mean to use the makesd in
>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32.  In fact
>
> Yes, this is the last one. The last one used in factory is:
>
> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121212-GTA04-Production/

How do 20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32 and 20121212-GTA04-Production differ?
(My guess is just the ext4 support.)

> The current unstable is work in progress to make a complete 3.7 based
> recovery and hw-validation image for NAND.

Does that mean I should completely ignore the unstable and unstable-3.x
options?

> Hope this helps,

I'm afraid it hasn't yet.  I just did makesd again with two 2Gb cards,
and neither of them appears to have installed to NAND correctly.  With
one of the cards I did manage to boot into LXDE, by pressing AUX
throughout the process.  But when I power off, switch over to my
QtMoko/SHR card, and then insert the battery again, I only get a white
screen.

Regards,
        Neil