[Gta04-owner] Camera & Kernel 3.7

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Feb 14 18:29:05 CET 2013

I was finally successful to get things into the 3.7 board file and compile without major warnings as suggested by Robert Nelson.

Now, the ov9655 driver is probed for and loaded, and the v4l2 system is loaded and a /dev/video0 is created.

But the camera does not yet work (oops during probe). Looking into source codes of other cameras, e.g. MT9P031:

	<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/i2c/mt9p031.c;hb=refs/heads/hw-validation-3.x>

and comparing with our driver:

	<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/i2c/ov9655.c;hb=refs/heads/hw-validation-3.x>

shows that we still have the old ioctl based API, while the newer drivers should use the subdevice API.

Another OV driver that appears to have some similarites with our OV9655 camera chip is the OV7670:

	<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=drivers/media/i2c/ov7670.c;hb=refs/heads/hw-validation-3.x>

Finally, the platform data is still a mix between old and new one. Just patched enough to get it compiled without errors:

	<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=blob;f=include/media/ov9655.h;hb=refs/heads/hw-validation-3.x>

So the next step is to fix the camera driver incl. platform data. Still a lot of work to do, but a big step forward and I am now confident that we will get it working.

full tree: 	<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/hw-validation-3.x;hb=refs/heads/hw-validation-3.x>
binary download: <http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/unstable/>