[Gta04-owner] PVR integration for Kernel 3.7 done

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Feb 13 15:09:18 CET 2013

Finally, I think I have successfully integrated the PVR kernel driver
into our 3.7 tree.

This needs some manual work since the last official package is missing
some #ifdef and other changes after approx. Kernel 3.3 or 3.4.

And, since I am not using the build scripts provided by the SDK package
but have integrated that into proper kernel Kconfig and Makefiles, I had
done some mistakes in this process...

The final thing that needed to be patched was the initialization order
of some modules leading to NULL pointer dereference kernel panics.

And one data structure was changed from using an embedded substruct
to have a pointer to the substruct... This happens if kernel developers
change APIs and our driver is not in mainline...

What I have disabled is DRI_DRM, i.e. it may not work well with X11.
And, the kernel tree does not correctly compile if configured as a
loadable kernel module.

Here are the changes:

<http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=tree;f=drivers/gpu/pvr/omap3>

I have also updated the documentation page so that you know how
to get the user-space (non-free) components:

<http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Video-3D/>

These things are also available as packages in Ubuntu but I think
they have some dependencies that we can't resolve in standard Debian.

If someone could research and explain the license situation, I could easily
make a (non-free) .deb that contains all libraries, runtime and SDK picked
out of the TI provided binaries. This would allow distros like QtMoko to simply
preinstall the libs and runtime.

Finally, here are some hints about SGX troubleshooting:

<http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/SGXDbg>

-- hns