[Gta04-owner] Camera and PVR/SGX patches for Kernel 3.7 - need help

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Feb 11 13:58:30 CET 2013

Am 11.02.2013 um 13:20 schrieb Benjamin Deering:

> On 02/11/2013 05:02 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

>>> It looks like I was wrong about some things.  client->addr is 0x30 like I would expect.
>>>
>>> Something strange is that I am not seeing anything from i2cdump -y 2 0x30.
>>
>> You should see an "U" meaning that there is already a platform driver feeling responsible. At least when you modprobe ov9655.
>>
>>> I started the hw-validation image and confirmed that the ov9655 driver loaded and the usual garbage showed on the screen.  When the ov9655 module is unloaded, i2cdump behaves the same on hw-validation image as it does with 3.7
>>>
>>> I noticed that there is nothing in the 3.7 kernel to deal with xclk for camera.  Does it need xclk for i2c to work correctly?
>>
>> I think we need xclk for I2C operation.
>>
>> I wasn't able to get it probed at all and did not get a /dev/video.
>>
>> Maybe because xclk is missing.
>>

>>> At least in my build, I need to #define CONFIG_SOC_CAMERA_OV9655 at the top of the board file or none of the camera related code is compiled.
>>
>> That is strange. Did you configure for SOC_CAMERA_OV9655?
>>
> I think I did.  All of the appropriate modules are built.
>> Now, I have found some (not so good) news:
>>
>> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/media/platform/soc_camera/soc_camera.c
>> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/media/platform/soc_camera
>>
>> There is no omap2_camera.c or omap3_camera.c and that is most likely
>> the lacking element to initialize the xclk and capture interface.
>>
>> IMHO it could be possible to write such a driver based on the
>> omap1_camera.c code. But debugging and making it work is a lot of work...
>> Alternatively, we could find some project that already has a soc_camera/omap3_camera.c
>>
>> Or we scrap everything done so far and start over based on the omap3isp
>> driver and our own ov9655 driver from the hw-validation kernel.
> I think that sounds right.  I found this last night:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/19723
> This seems to suggest that soc_camera is deprecated and the new framework is called "Sub-device".  The thread linked about discusses 3 approaches and suggests that soc_camera for OMAP3 was never finished.

Well it does not look as if the soc_camera is really deprecated, but it is intended
for "simple" camera interfaces.

But the DM3730 has a full video processing pipeline that can do much more
(automatic white balance, filtering, gamma correction) and all these features
can't be controlled through the "simple" soc_camera.

But apparently they can through this sub-device framework.

There is also some documentation:

http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.7.6/Documentation/video4linux/omap3isp.txt

talking about these subdevices and their features. To me it appears that they
introduce additional ioctls for these advanced features. There is also reference
to some media control user-space tool:

http://git.ideasonboard.org/media-ctl.git/tree

It looks that we already were on the right track with the hw-validation kernel
way of integration but I was confused by the finding that there is a soc_camera
driver for the ov9640 camera module...

So please give me some days to redo these changes to the 3.7 kernel tree
and fix kernel API compatibility issues...