[Gta04-owner] bq27000-battery: battery is not calibrated! ignoring capacity values

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Mon Feb 4 22:17:53 CET 2013

Hi,

On 02/04/2013 05:49 AM, Radek Polak wrote:
> i guess the inacurracy will be very very low. For example: my battery has:
<snip>
> if i compute charge in % it will be:
>
> 844305/1233792 * 100 = 68% for calibration not available
> 844305/1024054 * 100 = 82% for calibrated battery
>
> as the battery discharges it will be even less inacurrate:
>
> 100000/1233792 * 100 = 8.1%
> 100000/1024054 * 100 = 9.7%

It's a good point that lower charges will be less inaccurate than when
it is close to full, and accuracy is arguably needed the most when it is
almost empty, so that's good.

> for brand new battery the inacurracy will be even lower...

This is probably true, though not necessarily by all that much - e.g.
for my brand new battery, the calibrated charge_full was only about 87%
(1077247 / 1233792) of charge_full_design, which is only a little better
than your 83%. (I suppose mine might have been relatively old stock or
something though.)

Still would look kinda odd if the device persistently stopped charging
when the indicator was at about 85%. :P

> NeoControl probably already shows the information under the battery tab.

Well, my point was that they wouldn't have any reason to go looking
there if they thought everything was just fine.

But now that I think about it, I guess this might be nicely taken care
of by the above-mentioned oddness of it seemingly stopping to charge
earlier than it should.

Either way, having some indication of battery level, even if much more
inaccurate than this is, is better than having none. And, I wouldn't be
surprised if my personal preferences in such matters are quite different
from most people's. I've been called weird by people who know me - and I
take that as a compliment. :)

Regards,
Frode Austvik