[Gta04-owner] Tracking down power 'leak'

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 07:55:38 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Yesterday, I discussed our power 'leak' problem with an old EE.

He suggested putting a small cable between the battery and the battery
leads in order to put in an Ampere meter to study battery usage in
more detail than what could be done by measuring the charge_now values
before and after suspend. This would give an indication of power
spikes (coming from the GSM modem) and things like that.

Also, would it be possible to build a minimal system that has either
USB or serial support (I don't have a serial cable, so I can't do this
at home...) and then connect to it and manually (using a simple C
program tugging registers left and right) toggling all the hardware to
the lowest power state possible. Then. when we are reasonably sure
that everything is off, we can measure power usage to have a baseline
figure.

In the real system, is there a way to catch the (kernel) calls that
turn off various devices so that they can be logged somewhere? That
would enable finding out which devices are still enabled in some way.

No solutions in this mail, only questions, but perhaps they can
inspire others to new insights?

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0