[Gta04-owner] We need an Android kernel

Rainer Blome rainer.blome at gmx.de
Fri Aug 9 13:01:12 CEST 2013

Hi, I'd like to draw attention to some Android kernel forks for a device
which is speced similarly to the GTA04, using an OMAP 3630,
the Motorola Defy and Defy+ (MB525, MB526).

https://github.com/Quarx2k/jordan-kernel (Jordan is the device's code-name.)

Maybe the GTA04 efforts can benefit in some way from those efforts (and vice versa).

The "daily usage" builds still use a 2.6 kernel, with almost everything working.
There are experimental builds with a 3.0.8 kernel, which is explicitly marked as "not for daily usage".

These are the basis of inofficial Cyanogenmod versions (the starting posts of these threads state what works):
CM10.0 (Android JB 4.1): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1768702 (2.6 only, better than stock)
CM10.1 (Android JB 4.2): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2013059 (with 2.6 some issues, esp. bluethooth and headset, many more issues with 3.0 kernel)
CM10.2 (Android JB 4.3): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2385250 (rather new, at least the same issues as CM10.1, no idea which kernel)

For the 3.0 kernel, to give an idea of what works and what doesn't, the thread states:
> Works: SD-Card, Bluetooth, Torch, Leds, USB all modes, HW Video decoding, Sensors, FM-Radio (only seek stations+RDS), Sound (only speaker).
> Not work: Headset, BT-headset, FM-Radio sound, Phone, GPS, Camera, FM-TX, WiFi.
> Known problems: Low speed of USB Mass-storage, Display not always wake after sleep, Suspend not work correctly.

Looking at the developer's repositories, he seems to have experience with other devices as well (A10, allwinner):
https://github.com/Quarx2k?tab=repositories

Rainer