[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Aug 1 07:54:29 CEST 2013

Am 31.07.2013 um 20:19 schrieb Gabor Laszlo:

> Well, looks like the Ubuntu people stole our (hypothetical) thunder: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge--35
> it's already funded for 7.5M, for what is, compared to the state of GTA04, pie in the sky. And of that funding 2000+ unis presold. I can only imagine what could have been if we started a crowdfunding campaign first.

Well,
we *did* already run our crowdfunding campaign in 2011/12 [1].

But it was not called "crowdfunding" or "campaign" but "Group Tour". So Kickstarter and Indiegogo even did steal this general idea how to finance projects :)

Yes, they have reached 7,5 Mio which is 25% of their goal. We did have the same after the first weeks but then it ended almost in stagnation.

So I think it is likely to see the same effect with Ubuntu Edge that we know from the GTA04 group tour: high demand in the beginning, but not reaching 100% of the goal.

For having comparable success (in terms of absolute money), we simply lack:
* a well known brand like "Ubuntu", "Canonical"
* a well known stable OS valued by a big community (aka "crowd")
* a promise to develop a device with quad core, 128 GB SSD, 4GB RAM, LTE, sapphire glass
* an attractively designed complete device (which is required to attract the general public)
* a team to professionally run a kickstarter capaign (afaik they have 5 people doing that)

Nevertheless I get the impression that even Ubuntu is only addressing geeks and individuals and not the general public (which buys 500 Mio smartphones per year). They have exactly 0 enterprise customers. And only a minority is calculating that 775 USD is 10% more than a half of a Double Edge at 1400 USD. This means that rarely somebody is able to convince a friend to take a second one. Or all the doubles would have already been sold!

Finally they are not really interested in open hardware, as they tell in the "Updates":

Will the Ubuntu Edge be sustainable and/or hardware hackable?
While we will do our best to keep the hardware as open as possible, these are not the main focus of the project in its first generation. Hardware that’s capable of convergence is the priority.

So I suggest not to think too much about "what if" and compare us with Ubuntu, but do something to grow our knowledge and community. E.g. testing and working on kernels and OS variants so that we ultimately can get the best supported and most flexible open hardware.

And for "kickstarting" the GTA04A5 boards, please subscribe to the wishlist. This is not much different from a kickstarter (except that we do not even collect money before we start). And we only need ~200 units to be able to sell them @590 EUR (incl. VAT).

[1] http://en.it-usenet.org/thread/12949/29226/