[Gta04-owner] Almost bought a spyPhone?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Apr 14 20:12:50 CEST 2013

Am 14.04.2013 um 19:04 schrieb Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:15:00 +0200
> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>
>> I.e. can we really prove that others (e.g. the Nexus) are really
>> spying anything by using binary blobs or GPS? Or is this a pure
>> assumption because we can think that it could be done because of
>> certain properties of the hardware?
>
> I think it was proven by some people long time ago:
> https://github.com/packetlss/android-locdump for Android.
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears
> for iphone.

Yes, but AFAIK they did change something (should be possible to
look up in the news archives). So we can't argue that they are still
doing it.

But it is a good example why it is important to watch out for such incidents
and why some designs are more vulnerable (due to their closedness)
and open designs are much less.

-- hns