[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Tue Apr 9 11:48:10 CEST 2013

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 11:53:23 +0200
"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> http://www.google.com/nexus/4/
>
> It fulfills all the requirements: switch on and make phone calls +
> being able to modify (almost) everything. At a (subsidized) low price
Almost? I guess not.
look here:
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_mako/blob/cm-10.1/proprietary-blobs.txt
There are a lot of them...way too much...so much that with Replicant we
decided not to work on that phone...

Also we strongly suspect that theses libraries implement spyware.
specifically the proprietary parts of the RIL(the library which talks to
the modem).
We suspect that it tracks your position trough the cell ID, and also
could push and pull files from the device(on nexus S I heard that the
proprietary ril ran as root even...).

And even if someone runs replicant to avoid theses libraries there are
still some issues with the hardware itself:

Some phones uses shared RAM memory(which is really bad because there
is literally banks of RAM wired between both CPU and modem. On the
Nexus S, the issue is that that RAM bank has 2 areas, one of them is
for exchanging with the modem(16M)...and the rest...well...it's
reserved for CPU code(80M)... so the modem could probably change
what's inside...)and shared NAND(like for the htc dream) between the
modem(which runs non-free software) and the CPU, some have the sound
card(does it ring a bell? a sound card with the microphone attached to
it in direct control of the modem....) and the GPS integrated to the
modem(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RRLP, more precision than just the
normal triangulation, and it doen't require any authentication )...

And all the off-the-shelf phones supported by replicant have non-free
and signed bootloader:
There is a lot of talks on secure boot recently, it's meant to protect
against malware subverting the boot system to install rootkits and
similar things.
So if a malware can do it, why coundn't any proprietary bootloader do
something like that?

The GTA04, while having a non-free wifi firmware that is a pain to
handle, solve all the previous mentioned issues.

Denis.