[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch ofGTA04A5 boards

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Thu Apr 4 15:23:32 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-04 12:36, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:

>> > In total then, there are about €4000 in one-off costs for a
>> production run of a new design. I think it's eminently possible to
>> raise
>> that through crowdfunding. Moreover, I don't think we're going to
>> determine, a priori, whether such a crowdfunding effort will be
>> successful.
>> I think the only way to determine whether it will be successful is
>> to do
>> it.
>
> Wait, why ?
>
> I don't get crowdfunding much, but AFAIK it's not magic ant not
> charity
> donations either. People who put there money get something for it.

It can be charity.  Crowdfunding projects can provide something in
return for pledges or they can provide nothing.  Usually it's a sliding
scale of greater returns for greater pledges.  Most small pledges get
nothing in return while very large pledges can get a great deal.  Hence,
it's not either/or, it's both.

> Unless you what to crowdsource 4000 EUR in exchange of say, a photo
> of a phone, or your name in the manual, or some such. Which I suspect
> may be even harder, but if that's the idea I'd just ask for donations
> (already done).

Donations were asked for prior to the A4 production run but as far as I
know there's been no call for donations for the A5.

> There's some assumption that people will put money in a project if
> it's
> crowdfunding that they don't put in if it is not ?

Not necessarily.  Although I think the ease, simplicity and polish of
many crowdfunding sites, together with the feel-good factor of engaging
in the general effort of the crowdfunding, can create an appeal over and
above independent efforts.

> GTA04A4 was already done crowdfunding style.

I don't think that's true.  I don't think most people would identify
the GTA04A4 group tour as a crowdfunding effort.  I think the two ideas
are quite different.

> Or maybe I got crowdfunding all wrong ?

Possibly you did :-)

--