[Gta04-owner] Invitation to indicate interest in next batch of GTA04A5 boards

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Thu Apr 4 12:43:43 CEST 2013

Hello Nikolaus,

> I have though a long time about a role kickstarter could play, and here
are some of my insights:
> * kickstarter is sometimes seen to be "the solution" of financing
problems of open source projects
> * kickstarter is just a shop frontend - you offer an existing or planned
product and people buy something; even for the risk to get nothing
> * a product must appeal to the broad public or it will fail
> * kickstarter does not do the marketing (convincing people that they
need your product) for you - you still have to direct them to kickstarter
and tell a consistent story there
> * kickstarter is US centric

I don't think that it must be kickstarter. IIRC long time ago there's been
a longly discussion within this list about all the different offers within
the net for collecting money.

> * what is the difference to our own shop where people can buy or make
donations if they prefer to support the project?

Your shop is not known by a wider amount of people. So there's the barrier
of having thoroughly checking out if it's really trustworthy or if it's a
dark hole in the net.

> I think this is a slight misunderstanding of the role of GDC. It is not
the intention to sell the device by some fancy "homepage" to
> the masses and handle all the service and return requests because people
don't understand how to insert the battery.

OK, I forgot that Pulster is already doing this. Sorry!

> E.g. Pulster did add a SD card wit QtMoko preinstalled. Then you just
put in your SIM and battery, switch on and it works.

Did Pulster sale more GTA04s than GD, due to this concept?

http://www.google.com/nexus/4/
> It fulfills all the requirements: switch on and make phone calls + being
able to modify (almost) everything. At a (subsidized) low price.
> So what is our argument to convince the Non-Openmoko-experienced people
to get an OpenPhoenux device instead of that one?

It's made by community and enthusiasts, not by a greedy concern.

> * we were not even able to convince free and open enthusiasts during
FOSDEM - there were approx. 3 or 5 new subscriptions
>   to this list and no orders - so how should we be better to convince
the broad public by placing it on kickstarter?

Ooops! I didn't realize that situation is such worse. Up to now I
understood that it's mainly a question of the price, not of the idea.

> Specific proposals for improvement of the homepage?

Perhaps you can copy and paste some ideas from Pulster without loosing you
(Sorry folks, this joke can currently only be understood by Germans).

Best regards
   Sven